Welcome to Sussex Road Forest School
Forest School Curriculum
- The Forest School curriculum is values-led enabling the demonstration of Ready, Respectful and Responsible and focuses on building our 4 learning behaviours - Resilience, Reciprocity, Reflectiveness and Resourcefulness through regular outdoor sessions.
- The curriculum supports the development of metacognitive strategies to embed and extend learning through independent choice.
- By setting their own objectives, with support and guidance all children are able to achieve. They are able to Question, Challenge and Explore. Their confidence and self-esteem are boosted and this in turn supports their mental health and well-being.
- Children are fully immersed, experiencing their learning in real-life and fostering a connection with the natural world. Children are required to problem-solve, develop their fine and gross motor skills as well as communicate, collaborate and empathise. They are provided with opportunities to be creative and imaginative.
- All of these skills and behaviours are transferable to the classroom and are essential to life outside Forest School. Children develop their understanding of the world and their place in it.
- Through the guiding principles of Forest School, we support the development of skills, metacognitive strategies and positive learning behaviours by providing learning opportunities rather than removing them. Children are encouraged to try for themselves and are supported to communicate requests for help or guidance in meaningful sentences.
- Children can move around, make a noise, get their hands dirty and experience manageable risks. Children are supported to develop a clear purpose to their learning and to explain what they are doing and how they can build on that.
- Children can learn at their own pace and develop important life skills. Through targeted observation, discussion and participation, staff are able assess, react and appropriately support learning and progression.
News and Key Information
Links and Further Information
The link above takes you to our Forest School remote learning page. There are lots of activities here that you can try at home.