You will need:
A small plastic container such as an empty butter tub/yoghurt pot or a silicon cupcake case.
A natural object such as a small pebble, shell, leaf or small plastic figure.
- Fill the container almost to the top with water.
- Carefully drop your object into the water – does it float or sink?
- Place the container in the freezer overnight.
- In the morning remove the container from the freezer – what has happened to the water? Is it solid or liquid? Is the container filled to the same level?
- Gently remove the container and place the contents into a larger container that is deep enough to hold the water. You could use the sink or put it outside if that is easier.
- Record what happens throughout the day – you don’t need to watch it all the time, just check it every so often.
- How long before your object is free?
You may like to freeze a piece of string into the water to allow you to hang it up as a garden decoration.